Travel Certificates for Pets
at Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center

Navigating New Regulations for Pet Travel

Traveling with pets, particularly internationally, requires careful planning and adherence to specific health regulations. Recent changes announced by the CDC have introduced new requirements for dogs entering the United States from Canada and Mexico, which could impact Alaskans traveling through these countries. Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center is committed to helping you navigate these new rules and ensuring that your pet meets all necessary travel requirements.

New CDC Requirements Effective August 1

Starting August 1, all dogs re-entering the U.S. will need to comply with several new health and identification requirements:

  • Age Requirement: Dogs must be over 6 months of age.
  • Microchipping: Dogs must have an ISO 15-digit microchip.
  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate: Must include the microchip number and detailed information such as:
    • Owner’s name and address
    • Dog’s breed, sex, date of birth, color, and markings
    • Details of the rabies vaccination including date of vaccination, expiration, product name, and manufacturer
    • Veterinarian’s name, signature, and license number

Documentation Requirements

Certification of US-Issued Rabies Vaccination (CUSIRV) or a Health Certificate (7001) for travel to/from Canada or Mexico. These documents require USDA endorsement through the VEHCS online system.

Services Offered by Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center

  • Microchipping and Registration: We ensure that microchipping is done according to ISO standards and assist in registering the chip.
  • Rabies Vaccination and Certification: We provide rabies vaccinations and complete the necessary certifications, making sure to include all required details.
  • Health Certificates: We can prepare and endorse health certificates needed for traveling to and from Canada and Mexico.

Preparing for Travel

  • Check Requirements Well in Advance: Consult with us months before your travel to ensure all vaccinations, microchipping, and documentation are in order.
  • Understand the Costs: Be aware of additional costs such as USDA processing fees for document endorsement.
  • Regular Check-Ups: Keep your pet’s vaccinations up to date to avoid lapses that can complicate travel plans.

What If You Can't Meet the Requirements?

Dogs that do not meet all entry requirements will be denied entry to the United States and returned to the country of departure at the owner’s expense. It's crucial to fully comply with the new regulations to avoid such situations.

How Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center Can Help

Same Day Domestic Travel Certificates

Domestic vs. International Travel Certificates for Pets: Navigating Canadian Regulations

Understanding the Difference Between Domestic and International Pet Travel

For pet owners planning to travel with their pets, understanding the difference between domestic and international travel certificates is crucial. Here’s a breakdown of what these terms mean and specific considerations for traveling through Canada, including along the ALCAN Highway.

Domestic Travel Certificates

Definition: These are generally required for travel within a country and are less stringent than international certificates. Requirements can vary by state but typically involve proof of vaccinations and a health check.

Use Case: Traveling from one state to another within the U.S., where crossing state lines may require showing a valid rabies vaccination certificate.

International Travel Certificates

Definition: Required for travel between countries, these certificates are more comprehensive. They include detailed health information, vaccination records, and may need endorsement by official bodies like the USDA or CFIA in Canada.

Use Case: Traveling from the U.S. to another country, or re-entering the U.S. from abroad, including from Canada and Mexico.

Is Canada Considered International for U.S. Pet Owners?

Yes, Canada is considered an international destination when it comes to pet travel. This means that U.S. pet owners traveling to or through Canada, and then returning to the U.S., must comply with international travel certificate requirements.

Traveling with Pets on the ALCAN Highway

  • Route Details: The Alaska-Canada Highway (ALCAN) is a popular route for pet owners moving between Alaska and the contiguous U.S. states. This journey involves crossing international borders, so appropriate preparations are necessary.
  • Canadian Entry Requirements: Pets entering Canada must have a rabies vaccination certificate if they are over three months old. Canada does not require a health certificate for dogs and cats entering from the U.S., but it’s wise to carry one as it may be needed when returning to the U.S. or for hotel stays.
  • Re-Entering the U.S.: Upon returning to the U.S., pets need an international health certificate and a valid rabies certificate. As of August 1, requirements include ensuring the rabies certificate lists an ISO-compliant microchip number.

Important Tips for Traveling Through Canada

  • Documentation: Always carry original documents, including vaccination records and health certificates, while traveling.
  • Prepare for Inspections: Be prepared for possible inspections at border crossings. Ensure all paperwork is readily available and in order.
  • Microchipping: Microchipping your pet not only helps in reuniting if lost but also complies with the new re-entry requirements into the U.S.
  • Plan for Delays: Always have extra supplies of food, water, and medications in case of unexpected delays during travel.
  • Understand Local Laws: Each Canadian province may have specific laws about pets, such as leash laws or requirements for certain breeds. Familiarize yourself with these as you plan your travel.
Contact Us for Travel Certificate Assistance

PCS (Permanent Change of Station) Moves with Pets:
What Military Personnel Need to Know

Preparing for a Successful Move with Your Pet

For military personnel, moving with pets during a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) can add an extra layer of planning and stress. Understanding the requirements and preparing in advance can make the transition smoother for both you and your pet. Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center is here to support military families by providing essential information and services for PCS moves with pets.

Important Considerations for PCS Moves with Pets

  • Research Destination Requirements: Different states and countries have varying entry requirements for pets, including specific vaccinations, quarantine periods, and documentation. Start by contacting the veterinary service on your current base for guidance, and then check the regulations for your destination.
  • Health Certificates: Most destinations require a health certificate issued by a certified veterinarian. This certificate typically needs to be issued within 10 days of travel. Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center can provide thorough health checks and complete the necessary health certificates.
  • Vaccinations and Preventative Treatments: Ensure all vaccinations are up-to-date, particularly rabies. Some locations may require additional vaccinations or treatments, such as for ticks and tapeworms, depending on the local risks.
  • Microchipping: A microchip is a reliable way to ensure your pet can be identified and returned to you if lost during the move. It’s also a requirement for many international destinations. We can implant an ISO-compliant microchip and provide you with the necessary documentation.
  • Travel Arrangements: Check with your transportation office for specific pet travel arrangements. Some military flights allow pets, but space is limited and policies vary. Commercial airlines also have specific pet policies, which you need to review and prepare for accordingly.
  • Prepare Your Pet for Travel: If traveling by air, acclimate your pet to a travel carrier well ahead of the move. Ensure the carrier is IATA-compliant if flying. For long car journeys, plan for frequent stops and make sure your pet is comfortable with extended periods in the vehicle.
  • Emergency Plan: Have a plan in place for veterinary emergencies, both en route and immediately upon arrival at your new location. Know the contact details of veterinary services at your new base or in the surrounding community.

Contact Us for Assistance

If you’re preparing for a PCS move with your pet, contact Tier 1 Veterinary Medical Center at 907-745-8437. We understand the unique challenges faced by military families and are here to ensure that your pet’s relocation is as smooth as possible.
For ongoing updates on pet travel requirements and other veterinary care topics, follow us on Facebook and Instagram.